Michelle Heldon



Inspired by nature my works reflect an essence of memory and place. When we are in nature we tend to slow down, we experience the place around us, through not just what we see but also what we feel. From studies at various locations I construct small assemblages and these lead onto larger scale works.

The found object is of particular interest to me due to its humble form and embedded history. My works are created by responding to the way different materials feel and react to each other. I create small constructions and build up surfaces focusing on form, colour, texture, shape and the relationship between these parts. I use handmade paper and pigments and found wood and objects to make ‘artworks’ that feel like they have just been discovered rather than created by a human hand.

My work is aimed at encouraging the viewer to pause and look deeper. To take on a moment: a space- one of slowness, calm and sensitivity. To notice something they may not have seen at first glance. Or to wonder and something they are unable to see or understand.

We miss so much in the busy world around us and yet there is beauty in the simplest things if we have time to notice them. To feel art rather than just see it is an inspiring thing.

Michelle Heldon, Artist Statement February 2009